Farmers of all shapes and sizes!

Farmers of all shapes and sizes!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Narnia?

Some days I wonder if winter will ever turn to spring. Are we stuck in winter as the land of Narnia was? Howling wind, buffeting you from all sides. If you wait long enough it will blow all of the snow from your yard and deposit it in a great heaping drift in your driveway. Shoveling seems pointless as the walkway has re-drifted shut by the time you get down to the end of the driveway. Might as well let it drift till the storm stops. I've no where to go anyway and no money to to waste either so I might as well relax and just take it as it comes. Thursday we had quite a lot of snow. The strangest thing was there was no wind. Everything was in slow motion. The tired, heavy snowflakes just rested where they fell, insulating my home from any stray sound that might escape the outside world. It was as if we had entered another time. Or rather as if time had stopped entirely. So still, hauntingly so, "Is anybody out there? Are you still alive? Say something...anything...please?" I'm no more alone than I have been all winter but for some reason the sleepy valley is making me feel isolated, stranded, alone. Being laid up on the couch, accompanied by a dog affected with cabin fever, I am more aware of my solitary state than ever. Time crawls in my frosty prison. I'm not sure if my cell mate is the cause of me teetering on the edge of insanity or if he is the anchor that is keeping me from toppling over the brink. The occasional flash of a snowmobile reminds me that there is still other life on this planet and also of the fact that I cannot (or rather should not) be out and about alleviating my boredom. The wishes pile up as high as the snowbanks to be blown hither and thither as the wind comes back, under cover of nightfall to reclaim his territory.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment